This session is about Appmaker and how a community of designers, testers, developers, and otherwise app-makers can contribute to the project. Participants will learn what Appmaker is, how it works, and how to be a part of the various contribution pathways which are in the works.
- Bobby Ritcher - staff lead facilitator bringing this content to the event
- Amira Dhalla - co-facilitator
- Michelle Thorne - co-facilitator
- Gauthamraj Elango - community member co-leading the event
- Ankit Gadgil - community member co-leading the event
- Vikas Burri - community member co-leading the event
- Biraj Karmakar - community member co-leading the event
Strategy: 5 Questions
The content above was developed after answering these five questions, which guided our strategy:
OutcomesRemix Appmaker contribution for your own community. Learn about Appmaker user-testing and contribution methods, and help Mozilla unearthing unexpected insights from a wider group of users and contributors. Contributors are encouraged to remix and build on the contribution methods we already use in Appmaker to reach their own community.
First ActionsRemix an app! Take one of the starter apps provided by the Appmaker team, remix it, and share it with your group members. Install it on your phones!
RecruitingThrow an event for others to teach and learn using Appmaker. Gather your friends, family or classmates and get together at school, coffee shop or at home. Together you will create simple apps that show how easy it is to make and learn with Appmaker. Do this during Maker Party 2014 (July 15- September 15) to join the global celebration of teaching and learning. Find some ideas in the Action Menu for community building.
Enabling ContentTake the resources and content shared in this session to plan your first Appmaker event in your community. Individuals will be required to remix this agenda with their own customized agenda for their event. In order to create a successful action plan individuals must first develop ideas around what apps their potential event attendees would like to make and how to implement a succesful participatory event. Knowledge around Appmaker, it's functions and teaching methods are critical.
- Be able to contribute to Appmaker. Skill: learn the tools.
- Be empowered to co-design future Appmaker tool for Firefox OS. Skill: curriculm/content contributions
- Learn how to throw an event to teach/use Appmaker. Skill: teaching methods
Total length: 4 hours
- Welcome and Orientation - 30 mins
- Ice Breakers - 30 mins
- Intense Learning (Appmaker usage and contribution) - 90 mins
- Group Shareback - 10 mins
- Make Your Own Action Plan - 60 mins
- Group Share and Feedback - 20 mins
By the end of the session you should be able to do the following:
- You can create, remix, share, and install an app!
- You can create curriculm for Appmaker!
- You can create an Appmaker brick!
- You have a plan to teach and contribute to Appmaker in your community!
- Try Appmaker and sign up for an account!
- Write down some apps ideas. Think of some problems you or your community face that a mobile app might solve.
1. AV & technical requirements
- Laptops for building with Appmaker.
- Phones for trying Appmaker apps.
- A screen for learning and sharing with the group.
2. Room setup requirements
Chairs and tables with a layout encouraging small groups.
3. Materials and tools
Paper, markers, sticky-notes.